Re: How to analyze of short but heavy intermittent slowdown on BIND on production database (or BIND vs log_lock_waits)

On Sun, Jan 1, 2023 at 3:27 PM MichaelDBA <MichaelDBA@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Howdy,

Few additional questions:
  1. How many concurrent, active connections are running when these BIND problems occur?  select count(*) from pg_stat_activity where state in ('active','idle in transaction')
  2. Are the queries using gigantic IN (<big list>) values?
  3. Perhaps unrelated, but is log_temp_files turned on, and if so, do you have a lot of logs related to that?

Regards,
Michael Vitale, just another PG DBA

1)usual load (e.g. no anomalies)
10-20 concurrent query runs (e.g. issues isn't related to the load spike or similar anomalies)
additionally 5-10 short idle in transaction (usual amount too)
total around 300 active connections to the database (after local pgbouncer in transaction mode)

2)no... long BIND for huge parameter lists is a known issue for me, in this case there is nothing like that... just (every?) PARSE/BIND stuck for a short period (including ones which don't require pg_statistic table access)...
There are some funny samples from the latest spike:
2023-01-01 15:45:09.151 UTC 2421121 ******** from [local] [vxid:109/20732521 txid:0] [BIND] LOG:  duration: 338.830 ms  bind <unnamed>: ROLLBACK
2023-01-01 15:45:09.151 UTC 2365255 ******** from [local] [vxid:41/21277531 txid:2504447286] [PARSE] LOG:  duration: 338.755 ms  parse <unnamed>: select nextval ('jobs_id_seq')
along with normal select/insert/update/delete operations stuck for a short time too...

3)log_temp_files on for sure, I found no correlation with temp file usage, as well as no correlation between latency spikes and logged autovacuum actions.

PS: '[BIND] LOG:  duration: 338.830 ms  bind <unnamed>: ROLLBACK' on a definitely not overloaded and perfectly healthy server - probably the most curious log entry of 2022 year for me.

--
Maxim Boguk
Senior Postgresql DBA

Phone UA: +380 99 143 0000