Re: Identify root-cause for intermittent spikes

Thanks, Rick - I will give it a try.

On Wed, Oct 12, 2022 at 6:12 AM Rick Otten <rottenwindfish@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
I like to use pgbadger to collect data on what is happening in RDS instances.  You have to turn up a bunch of logging in RDS:

1. Turn on connection logging, duration logging, lock_waits, and anything else that you are interested in studying.

2. Then grab all of your postgresql logs from AWS.  I wrote this little bash script to pull all of the logs for a current day.  It will work if you have your aws credentials configured correctly and can run aws-cli commands.
```
#!/bin/env bash

## Return all of the postgresql log files saved by RDS since midnight.
## Save them in your current directory.
## This is so we can use cli tools like "grep"
## It is also really handy for feeding into pgbadger for deeper analysis.

# aws requires the timestamp to be in milliseconds.
# unfortunately date will provide either seconds or nano seconds, so we have to do math.
midnight_timestamp=$(date -d $(date -I) '+%s')
midnight_timestamp_milliseconds=$(echo "${midnight_timestamp} * 1000" | bc)

logfiles=$(aws rds describe-db-log-files \
              --profile default \
              --db-instance-identifier "some_rds_instance_name" \
              --output json  \
              --file-last-written ${midnight_timestamp_milliseconds} | jq -r ".DescribeDBLogFiles[].LogFileName")

for logfile in $(echo ${logfiles})
do
    # remove the leading "error/" so we can use the name to save it.
    logfile_save=$(echo "${logfile}" | awk -F\/ '{print $NF}')

    tput bold; echo "${logfile}"; tput sgr0
    aws rds download-db-log-file-portion \
        --profile admin \
        --db-instance-identifier prod-notify-me-1 \
        --log-file-name ${logfile} \
        --output text \
        --no-paginate > ${logfile_save}
done

```
3. Then run pgbadger:
``` ~/src/pgbadger/pgbadger -f rds  postgresql*
```
4. Open the `out.html` in your browser, and poke around.   There is a ton of stuff you can find in all the drop down menus about what was happening in your database over the time window you collected the logs for.  The html is generated as a standalone file by a perl script of all things.  It is pretty impressive.