Re: Identify root-cause for intermittent spikes

Hello,

Your problem is probably, too many active, concurrent connections.  Get it from here the db directly:
select datname, usename, application_name, substring(query, 1, 80) query  from pg_stat_activity where state in ('active','idle in transaction');

Compare the number of rows returned with the number of vCPUs.  If it's more than double the number of vCPUs in your AWS instance class, then you are cpu saturated.

Regards,

Michael Vitale