Re: pg_wal filling up while running huge updates

On Fri, Aug 5, 2022 at 7:30 AM aditya desai <admad123@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

We are doing an oracle to postgres migration(5 TB+ data). We are encoding and decoding BLOB data after migration and for that we are running updates on tables having BLOB/CLOB data. When we execute this pg_wal is filling up.

Do you have any general guidelines for migrating a 5TB + database from Oracle to Postgres? Any specific guidelines around archiving logs?

If you use pgBackrest for WAL archiving, you could enable asynchronous archiving.

https://pgbackrest.org/configuration.html#section-archive/option-archive-async

--
Don Seiler
www.seiler.us