Re: significant jump in sql statement timing for on server vs a remote connection

On Tue, Apr 19, 2022 at 03:00:09PM -0600, Sbob wrote:
> We are debugging a sql performance issue. We have a sql file with 50,000
> simple select statements in it. If I run the file locally it completes in
> less than 15sec.  If I force the local connection to be a tcp/ip connection
> via psql -h and I get approximately the same results, 15 - 16sec.
>

> However if we move the file to another server in the same network and run
> with a psql -h then it runs for more than 10min. Are there any postgres
> specific issues / settings / connection overhead  we should look at? Or is
> this simply a network issue and fully outside the scope of the postgres
> database?

What OS ?  What kind of authentication are you using ?
Is there a connection pooler involved ?  Did you try like that ?

Did you test how long it takes to run 10k empty statements locally vs remotely ?
time yes 'SELECT;' |head -9999 |psql ... >/dev/null

--
Justin