Re: Performance for SQL queries on Azure PostgreSQL PaaS instance

On Tue, 2022-04-12 at 09:10 +0000, Kumar, Mukesh wrote:
> We have recently done the migration from Oracle Database Version 12C to Azure
> PostgreSQL PaaS instance version 11.4 and most of the application functionality
> testing has been over and tested successfully
>
> However, there is 1 process at application level which is taking approx. 10 mins
> in PostgreSQL and in oracle it is taking only 3 mins.
>
> After investigating further we identified that process which is executed from
> application end contains 500 to 600 no of short SQL queries into the database.
> We tried to run the few queries individually on database and they are taking
> less than sec in Postgres Database to execute, and we noticed that in Oracle
> taking half of the time as is taking in PostgreSQL. for ex . in oracle same
> select statement is taking 300 millisecond and in PostgreSQL it is taking
> approx. 600 millisecond which over increases the execution of the process.
>
> Oracle Database are hosted on ON- Prem DC with dedicated application server on
> OnPrem and same for PostgreSQL.

How can a database hosted with Microsoft be on your permises?

Apart from all other things, compare the network latency.  If a single request
results in 500 database queries, you will be paying 1000 times the network
latency per request.

Yours,
Laurenz Albe