Re: Postgresql TPS Bottleneck

On 3/31/22 07:50, wakandavision@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
Hi everyone,

I am a bachelor's student and writing my thesis about the scaling and
performance of an application. The application is using postgresql as a
database but we can't scale any further currently as it seems postgres
is hitting the limit.

With the application, as well as with pgbench, we don't get more than
(max) 70k TPS on postgres. But the servers' resources are not utilized
completely (more below).

I would try monitoring using "perf top" and "atop -d" to see what is going on on the system. Also, try using sar to figure out what's going on. Are you paging, waiting for I/O or having some other kind of bottleneck. Once you figure where is your system spending time, you can address the problem. In addition to that, analyze the log files with pgbadger to find out which queries are time consuming and try optimizing them.

--
Mladen Gogala
Database Consultant