Re: Query is slower with a large proportion of NULLs in several columns

On Tue, Dec 21, 2021 at 4:07 PM Tom Lane <tgl@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Lars Bergeson <larsavatar@xxxxxxxxx> writes:
> I'm running PostgreSQL under AWS Aurora, and I didn't set it up or install
> it, so I'm not sure about the OS version.

Oh!  Aurora is not Postgres.  My admittedly-not-well-informed
understanding is that they stuck a Postgres front end on their
existing storage engine, so it's not surprising if storage-level
behaviors are quite different from stock Postgres.

I do wish Amazon would be more considerate and modify what version() outputs to include "AWS Aurora" somewhere in the human readable string.  Though the lack really isn't an excuse for reports of this nature to omit such a crucial hardware/hosting detail.  The rest of the problem statement, even with the "newbie to PostgreSQL" qualifier, was written well enough I hadn't really considered that it would be anything but stock PostgreSQL on a personal VM setup for testing.

David J.