Re: EXISTS by itself vs SELECT EXISTS much slower in query.

postgresql 14, linux
with:
CREATE TABLE child(child_id bigint generated always as identity
PRIMARY KEY, parent_id bigint references parent(parent_id), name
text);
CREATE TABLE child(child_id bigint generated always as identity
PRIMARY KEY, parent_id bigint references parent(parent_id), name
text);
---------
INSERT INTO parent(name)
    SELECT
        md5(random()::text)
    FROM generate_series(1, 100000);
---------
INSERT INTO child(parent_id, name)
    SELECT
           ((generate_series/2*2) % 100000)::bigint + 1,
           md5(random()::text)
    FROM generate_series(1, 1000000);
---------
 CREATE INDEX ON child(parent_id);
VACUUM ANALYZE parent, child;

slow:
explain (analyze, buffers)
SELECT
    parent.*,
    EXISTS (SELECT * FROM child WHERE
child.parent_id=parent.parent_id) AS child_exists
FROM parent
ORDER BY parent_id LIMIT 10;
https://explain.depesz.com/s/Sx9t
fast:
explain (analyze, buffers)
SELECT
    parent.*,
    (SELECT EXISTS (SELECT * FROM child WHERE
child.parent_id=parent.parent_id)) AS child_exists
FROM parent
ORDER BY parent_id LIMIT 10;

https://explain.depesz.com/s/mIXR

-------