Re: Better, consistent instrumentation for postgreSQL using a similar API as Oracle

On 10/8/21 11:21, Bruce Momjian wrote:
Ah, this is exactly what I wanted to know --- what people are using the
event waits for.  Can you tell if these are done all externally, or if
they need internal database changes?
Well, the methodology goes like this: we get the slow queries from pgBadger report and then run explain (analyze, timing, buffers) on the query. If we still cannot figure out how to improve things, we check the events and see what the query is waiting for. After that we may add an index, partition the table, change index structure or do something like that. Unrelated to this discussion, I discovered Bloom extension. Bloom indexes are phenomenally useful. I apologize for the digression.

--
Mladen Gogala
Database Consultant