Re: Better, consistent instrumentation for postgreSQL using a similar API as Oracle

On Thu, Oct  7, 2021 at 07:15:39PM -0700, Jeremy Schneider wrote:
> PostgreSQL added wait events starting in 9.6 and the last thing that's
> missing is an integrated way to trace or log them. A simple starting
> point could be a session-level GUC that enables a hook in
> pgstat_report_wait_start() and pgstat_report_wait_end() to just drop
> messages in the log. These log messages could then easily be processed
> to generate the similar profiles to the ones we used with other
> databases. Basically I agree 100% with Jeff that while you can do these
> things with perf probes or eBPF, there are massive advantages to having
> it baked in the database. With the right tools, this makes session
> profiling available to regular users (who do their day jobs with excel
> rather than eBPF).

Our wait events reported in pg_stat_activity are really only a first
step --- I always felt it needed an external tool to efficiently collect
and report those wait events.  I don't think the server log is the right
place to collect them.

--
  Bruce Momjian  <bruce@xxxxxxxxxx>        https://momjian.us