Re: AWS forcing PG upgrade from v9.6 a disaster

On 2021-05-29 13:35, Andrew Dunstan wrote:
On 5/29/21 3:59 PM, Dean Gibson (DB Administrator) wrote:
Meanwhile, I've been doing some checking.  If I remove "CAST(
license_status AS CHAR ) = 'A'", the problem disappears.  Changing the
JOIN to a RIGHT JOIN, & replacing WHERE with ON, also "solves" the
problem, but there is an extra row where license_status is NULL, due
to the RIGHT JOIN.  Currently trying to figure that out (why did the
CAST ... match 'A', if it is null?)...
Why are you using this _expression_? It's something you almost never want
to do in my experience. Why not use the substr() function to get the
first character?

cheers

andrew

--
Andrew Dunstan
EDB: https://www.enterprisedb.com

Although it doesn't matter in this case, I do it because in general, it changes the type of the value from CHAR to bptext or whatever it is, & that has causes comparison issues in the past.  It's just a matter of habit for me when working with CHAR() types.

But this case, where it doesn't matter, I'd use LEFT().