Re: LWLocks by LockManager slowing large DB

Hi,

On 2021-04-13 19:16:46 -0400, Tom Lane wrote:
> > Maybe the same thing we do with user tables, ie not give up the lock
> > when we close a toast rel?  As long as the internal lock counters
> > are 64-bit, we'd not have to worry about overflowing them.

Well, I was assuming we'd not want to do that, but I am generally on
board with the concept (and think our early lock release in a bunch of
places is problematic).

> Like this?  This passes check-world, modulo the one very-unsurprising
> regression test change.  I've not tried to do any performance testing.

I wonder if there's a realistic chance it could create additional
deadlocks that don't exist right now?

Would it be a problem that we'd still release the locks on catalog
tables early, but not on its toast table?

Greetings,

Andres Freund