Re: FreeBSD UFS & fsync

On Fri, Mar 12, 2021 at 10:34 AM Thomas Munro <thomas.munro@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> It looks like your system is performing very badly for some other
> reason, so that synchronous I/O waits are only a small proportion of
> the time, and thus fsync=off doesn't speed things up very much.  I'd
> look into profiling the system to try to figure out what it's doing...
> maybe it's suffering from super slow hypercalls for gettimeofday(), or
> something like that?

Let me get this straight to see if I understand it correctly:
pg_test_fsync reports 278000 tps in non sync-ed mode, and that is what
I should expect (nearly) from turning off fsyc.
However, something else is eating my resources, so I'm not getting the
correct results.
Now, what do you mean by profiling the system? Since I'm on FreeBSD I
could use dtrace to see if there's any clue where the time is spent,
even if I'm not so expert in dtrace.
Please also note that pg_test_timing seems fine to me (I've tried
several times with pretty much the same results):

% pg_test_timing
Testing timing overhead for 3 seconds.
Per loop time including overhead: 37.68 ns
Histogram of timing durations:
  < us   % of total      count
     1     96.46399   76796834
     2      3.52417    2805657
     4      0.00400       3183
     8      0.00320       2546
    16      0.00235       1871
    32      0.00124        988
    64      0.00065        517
   128      0.00024        189
   256      0.00007         58
   512      0.00003         26
  1024      0.00002         18
  2048      0.00002         19
  4096      0.00001          9
  8192      0.00000          1

So apparently gettimeofday should not be the problem right here.

Luca