Re: Massive parallel queue table causes index deterioration, but REINDEX fails with deadlocks.

On Sun, Feb 24, 2019 at 1:02 PM Gunther <raj@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

Thank you all for responding so far.

David Rowley  and Justin Pryzby suggested things about autovacuum. But I don't think autovacuum has any helpful role here. I am explicitly doing a vacuum on that table. And it doesn't help at all. Almost not at all.

If you do a vacuum verbose, what stats do you get back?  What is the size of the index when the degradation starts to show, and immediately after a successful reindex?

Also, how is JobID assigned?  Are they from a sequence, or some other method where they are always added to the end of the index's keyspace?

When it starts to degrade, what is the EXPLAIN plan for the query?

Cheers,

Jeff