Re: partitioning materialized views

If you _can't_ do
that due to cloud restrictions, you'd actually be better off doing an
atomic swap.

CREATE MATERIALIZED VIEW y AS ...;

BEGIN;
ALTER MATERIALIZED VIEW x RENAME TO x_old;
ALTER MATERIALIZED VIEW y RENAME TO x;
DROP MATERIALIZED VIEW x_old;
COMMIT;

This is an interesting idea.  Thanks!  I'll ponder that one.

I don't think the downstream dependencies will let that work without rebuilding them as well.   The drop fails (without a cascade), and the other views and matviews that are built off of this all simply point to x_old.