Re: How Can I check PostgreSQL backup is successfully or not ?

On 2017-02-27 14:29, John Gorman wrote:
Even though it's not listed in any of the documentation or “pg_dump
--help” you can check the return code of the process. A return code
greater than 0 (zero) usually indicates a failure

./bin >pg_dump -U dummy_user  dummy_database; echo $?

1

FROM: pgsql-performance-owner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:pgsql-performance-owner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx] ON BEHALF OF Rick
Otten
SENT: Monday, February 27, 2017 3:36 AM
TO: Dinesh Chandra 12108
CC: pgsql-performance@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
SUBJECT: Re:  How Can I check PostgreSQL backup is
successfully or not ?

Although it doesn't really tell if the pg_dump was successful (you'll
need to do a full restore to be sure), I generate an archive list.  If
that fails, the backup clearly wasn't successful, and if it succeeds,
odds are pretty good that it worked:

On Mon, Feb 27, 2017 at 4:35 AM, Dinesh Chandra 12108