Re: checkpoints, proper config

On 12/10/2015 11:45 PM, Alvaro Herrera wrote:
Tomas Vondra wrote:

Also, I don't think it makes much sense to set

    (checkpoint_warning > checkpoint_timeout)

as it kinda defeats the whole purpose of the warning.

I agree, but actually, what is the sense of checkpoint_warning?  I think
it was useful back when we didn't have log_checkpoints, but now that we
have detailed checkpoint logging I think it's pretty much useless noise.

Not entirely. The WARNING only triggers when you get below the 30s (or whatever value is set in the config) and explicitly warns you about doing checkpoints too often. log_checkpoints=on logs all checkpoints and you have to do further analysis on the data (and it's just LOG).