Re: hyperthreadin low performance

On 21/07/15 20:04, David Rowley wrote:
On 21 July 2015 at 14:59, Jeison Bedoya Delgado
<jeisonb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx <mailto:jeisonb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>> wrote:

    hi everyone,

    Recently update a database to machine with RHEL7, but i see that the
    performance is betther if the hyperthreading tecnology is
    deactivated and use only 32 cores.

    is normal that the machine performance is better with 32 cores that
    64 cores?.

You might be interested in
http://www.postgresql.org/message-id/53F4F36E.6050003@xxxxxxxxxxxx

However I do wonder if we have been misinterpreting these tests. We tend to assume the position of "see hyperthreading is bad, switch it off".

The linked post under the one above:

http://www.postgresql.org/message-id/53ED371D.109@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

shows that 60 core (no hyperthreading) performance is also pessimal, leading me to conclude that *perhaps* it is simply the number of cores that is the problem - particularly as benchmark results for single socket cpus clearly show hyperthreading helps performance...

Regards

Mark