Re: New server: SSD/RAID recommendations?

Hi Karl,

Great post, thanks.

Though I don't think it's against conventional wisdom to aggregate writes into larger blocks rather than rely on 4k performance on ssds :-)

128kb blocks + compression certainly makes sense. But it might make less sense I suppose if you had some incredibly high rate of churn in your rows.
But for the work we do here, we could use 16MB blocks for all the difference it would make. (Tip to others: don't do that. 128kb block performance is already enough out the IO bus to most ssds)

Do you have your WAL log on a compressed zfs fs?

Graeme Bell