Re: Do work_mem and shared buffers have 1g or 2g limit on 64 bit linux?

On 06/13/2015 10:27 AM, Kaijiang Chen wrote:
Hi, I am using postgresql 9.2.10 on centos 6.2, 64 bit version. The
server has 512 GB mem.

The jobs are mainly OLAP like. So I need larger work_mem and shared
buffers. From the source code, there is a constant MaxAllocSize==1GB.
So, I wonder whether work_mem and shared buffers can exceed 2GB in the
64 bit Linux server?

Shared Buffers is not limited.

Work_mem IIRC can go past 2GB but has never been proven to be effective after that.

It does depend on the version you are running.

JD

Thanks and regards,
Kaijiang