Re: Configuration tips for very large database

On 02/13/2015 12:19 AM, Claudio Freire wrote:
I have a table with ~800M rows, wide ones, that runs reporting queries
quite efficiently (usually seconds).

Of course, the queries don't traverse the whole table. That wouldn't
be efficient. That's probably the key there, don't make you database
process the whole thing every time if you expect it to be scalable.

What kind of queries are you running that have slowed down?

Post an explain analyze so people can diagnose. Possibly it's a
query/indexing issue rather than a hardware one.

Thanks everybody for the answers. At the moment I don't have the queries at hand (saturday:-) ).
I'll post them next week.

I'd really like to avoid data partitioning if possible. It's a thing that gives me a strong stomach ache.