Re: shared_buffers vs Linux file cache

I've not looked at the images, but I think you're getting PostgreSQL shared_buffers and the OS buffercache mixed up; they are not the same.

PostgreSQL shared_buffers is specific to postgres, whereas the OS buffercache will just use free memory to cache data pages from disk, and this is what you're seeing.

Some reading for you:
http://www.tldp.org/LDP/sag/html/buffer-cache.html

Glyn