Re: pgtune + configurations with 9.3

On 15/11/14 15:08, Jim Nasby wrote:
On 11/14/14, 5:00 PM, Mark Kirkwood wrote:

as the 'rule of thumb' for setting shared_buffers. However I was
recently benchmarking a machine with a lot of ram (1TB) and entirely
SSD storage [1], and that seemed quite happy with 50GB of shared
buffers (better performance than with 8GB). Now shared_buffers was not
the variable we were concentrating on so I didn't get too carried away
and try much bigger than about 100GB - but this seems like a good
thing to come out with some numbers for i.e pgbench read write and
read only tps vs shared_buffers 1 -> 100 GB in size.

What PG version?

One of the huge issues with large shared_buffers is the immense overhead
you end up with for running the clock sweep, and on most systems that
overhead is born by every backend individually. You will only see that
overhead if your database is larger than shared bufers, because you only
pay it when you need to evict a buffer. I suspect you'd actually need a
database at least 2x > shared_buffers for it to really start showing up.

That was 9.4 beta1 and2.

A variety of db sizes were tried, some just fitting inside shared_buffers and some a bit over 2x larger, and one variant where we sized the db to 600GB, and used 4,8 and 50GB shared_buffers (50 was the best by a small margin...and certainly no worse).

Now we were mainly looking at 60 core performance issues (see thread "60 core performance with 9.3"), and possibly some detrimental effects of larger shared_buffers may have been masked by this - but performance was certainly not hurt with larger shared_buffers.

regards

Mark