char(N), varchar(N), varchar, text

Good morning,

For performance point of view, are there big differences between: char(N), varchar(N), varchar, text?

Some comments from google shows:
No difference, under the hood it's all varlena. Check this article from Depesz: http://www.depesz.com/index.php/2010/03/02/charx-vs-varcharx-vs-varchar-vs-text/
A couple of highlights:

To sum it all up:

  • char(n) – takes too much space when dealing with values shorter than n, and can lead to subtle errors because of adding trailing spaces, plus it is problematic to change the limit
  • varchar(n) – it's problematic to change the limit in live environment
  • varchar – just like text
  • text – for me a winner – over (n) data types because it lacks their problems, and over varchar – because it has distinct name
So, can I assume no big performance differences?
Thanks alot!
Emi