Re: postgres files in use not staying in linux file cache

On 06/13/2014 02:19 AM, Tim Kane wrote:

I ask because I’ve just read your statement above about 3.2 being
pants-on-head, and having had more luck with 3.8 and above – despite
 most installations being on much older (2.6.19) kernels (as per the
thread).

Well, the issue is that the 3.2 kernel was a huge departure from the 2.6 tree that most people are still using. Thanks to RHEL, CentOS and their ilk, the 2.6 tree has had a much longer lifetime than it probably should have. As a result, the newer kernels haven't had sufficient real-world server testing.

With 3.2 being the first of those, it was a bit wonky, to be honest. The new CPU scheduler didn't have enough knobs, and the knobs that *were* there, were set more appropriately for desktop use. The memory manager was a train wreck and has been patched numerous times with rather sweeping changes since. For a while, there was even a bug at how system load was calculated that caused it to be off by an order of magnitude or more based on process switching activity.

The overall situation has improved significantly, as has the development momentum. It's extremely difficult to say which kernel versions have more risk than others, since no kernel seems to be around for more than a month or two before the next one comes out. My opinion has been to get on the latest stable kernel for the distribution, and ignore everything else.

For Ubuntu 12.04.4 LTS, that's 3.11.

Our systems are definitely much happier since the upgrade, but the plural of anecdote is not data. :)

--
Shaun Thomas
OptionsHouse, LLC | 141 W. Jackson Blvd. | Suite 800 | Chicago IL, 60604