NFS, file system cache and shared_buffers

I just learned that NFS does not use a file system cache on the client side.

On the other hand, PostgreSQL relies on the file system cache for performance,
because beyond a certain amount of shared_buffers performance will suffer.

Together these things seem to indicate that you cannot get good performance
with a large database over NFS since you can leverage memory speed.

Now I wonder if there are any remedies (CacheFS?) and what experiences
people have made with the performance of large databases over NFS.

Yours,
Laurenz Albe