Re: Revisiting disk layout on ZFS systems

On 04/28/2014 08:47 AM, Karl Denninger wrote:
> The odd thing is that I am getting better performance with a 128k record
> size on this application than I get with an 8k one!  Not only is the
> system faster to respond subjectively and can it sustain a higher TPS
> load objectively but the I/O busy percentage as measured during
> operation is MARKEDLY lower (by nearly an order of magnitude!)

Thanks for posting your experience!  I'd love it even more if you could
post some numbers to go with.

Questions:

1) is your database (or the active portion thereof) smaller than RAM?

2) is this a DW workload, where most writes are large writes?

--
Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL Experts Inc.