Re: Revisiting disk layout on ZFS systems

On 04/28/2014 09:07 PM, Karl Denninger wrote:
The WAL is fsync'd frequently. My guess is that that causes a lot of
extra work to repeatedly recompress the same data, or something like
that.

It shouldn't as ZFS re-writes on change, and what's showing up is not
high I/O*count*  but rather percentage-busy, which implies lots of head
movement (that is, lots of sub-allocation unit writes.)

That sounds consistent frequent fsyncs.

Isn't WAL essentially sequential writes during normal operation?

Yes, it's totally sequential. But it's fsync'd at every commit, which means a lot of small writes.

- Heikki

Makes sense; I'll muse on whether there's a way to optimize this further... I'm not running into performance problems at present but I'd rather be ahead of it....

--
-- Karl
karl@xxxxxxxxxxxxx