Re: tsearch2, large data and indexes

On 04/24/2014 10:57 PM, Sergey Konoplev wrote:
On Thu, Apr 24, 2014 at 5:34 AM, Ivan Voras <ivoras@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On 24 April 2014 13:34, Heikki Linnakangas <hlinnakangas@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

As the docs say, the GIN index does not store the weights. As such, there is
no need to strip them. A recheck would be necessary if your query needs the
weights, precisely because the weights are not included in the index.

(In the OP's query, it's the ranking that was causing the detoasting.)

Thanks!

My problem is that I actually need the ranking. My queries can return
a large number of documents (tens of thousands) but I usually need
only the first couple of pages of most relevant results (e.g. 50-100
records). With PostgreSQL and tsearch2, this means that the tens of
thousands of documents found via the index are then detoasted and
ranked.

Heikki, what about the "GIN improvements part 3: ordering in index"
patch, was it committed?

http://www.postgresql.org/message-id/flat/CAPpHfduWvqv5b0XZ1DZuqAW29erDCULZp2wotfJzDBs7BHpKXw@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Nope, wasn't committed.

- Heikki