Re: Suboptimal query plan when using expensive BCRYPT functions

On 03/22/2014 02:59 AM, Erik van Zijst wrote:
Is there any way I can get postgres to perform the hash calculations
on the *result* of the other parts of the where clause, instead of the
other way around? Or else rewrite the query?

The planner doesn't know that the crypt function is expensive. That can be fixed with "ALTER FUNCTION crypt(text, text) COST <high value>". Even with that, I'm not sure if the planner is smart enough to optimize the query the way you'd want, but it's worth a try.

- Heikki