Explain analyze time overhead

Hello guys,

When I excute a query,  the exection time is about 1 minute; however, when I execute the query with explain analyze the excution time jumps to 10 minutes.
I have tried this for several queries, where  I need to optimize;  and using explain analyze leads alway to a huge time overhead in factor of 10.

This is a little bit starnge for me; did any one experience somthing like this? Can I trust the generated plans?

Regards