Re: Problems with hash join over nested loop

On 10/30/13 5:27 PM, Jim Nasby wrote:
On 10/29/13 3:36 PM, Tom Lane wrote:
Jim Nasby <jnasby@xxxxxxxxx> writes:
Is there a way to measure memory consumption during planning, short of something like strace? (I've got no dev tools available on our servers.)

Nothing built-in, I'm pretty sure.  You could probably add some
instrumentation, but that would require running modified executables ...

FYI, client_min_messages = debug5 and log_planner_stats = on is useful, though I wish it included ru_maxrss (see http://www.gnu.org/software/libc/manual/html_node/Resource-Usage.html).

Oh, and in my 28 table case ru_minflt was 428 4k memory pages (1.7MB). Not a great measurement, but better than nothing. I didn't detect anything noticeable on vmstat either, so I don't think the consumption is huge (an email in the older thread mentioned 1GB... I'm not seeing that).
--
Jim Nasby, Lead Data Architect   (512) 569-9461