autovacuum and dead tuples

We are running PostgreSQL 9.1.6 with autovacuum = on and I am reporting on dead tuples using the pgstattuple extension. Each time I run the pgstattuple package our dead tuples counts decrease. My colleague is under the impression that dead tuples are only cleaned up via vacuum full only, while I suggested that the autovaccum process was cleaning up these dead tuples. Is this true?

Thanks