Re: AMD vs Intel

On 9/4/2013 3:01 AM, Johan Loubser wrote:
I am tasked with getting specs for a postgres database server for the core purpose of running moodle at our university. The main question is at the moment is 12core AMD or 6/8core (E Series) INTEL.

What would be the most in portend metric in planning an enterprise level server for moodle.

The only way to be sure is to test your workload on the two different machines.

That said, we moved from AMD to Intel E series Xeon a year ago. We were using 8-core AMD devices not 12, and switched to 6-core Intel. The Intel devices were more attractive due to their (much) higher single-core performance. Another factor was a history of hardware bugs in the support chips used on AMD systems that we haven't generally seen with Intel. So all other things being equal, Intel brings less hassle, in my experience.