Re: Reliability with RAID 10 SSD and Streaming Replication

On 5/22/13 2:45 PM, Shaun Thomas wrote:
That read rate and that throughput suggest 8k reads. The queue size is
270+, which is pretty high for a single device, even when it's an SSD.
Some SSDs seem to break down on queue sizes over 4, and 15 sectors
spread across a read queue of 270 is pretty hash. The drive tested here
basically fell over on servicing a huge diverse read queue, which
suggests a firmware issue.

That's basically it. I don't know that I'd put the blame specifically onto a firmware issue without further evidence that's the case though. The last time I chased down a SSD performance issue like this it ended up being a Linux scheduler bug. One thing I plan to do for future SSD tests is to try and replicate this issue better, starting by increasing the number of clients to at least 300.

Related: if anyone read my "Seeking PostgreSQL" talk last year, some of my Intel 320 results there were understating the drive's worst-case performance due to a testing setup error. I have a blog entry talking about what was wrong and how it slipped past me at http://highperfpostgres.com/2013/05/seeking-revisited-intel-320-series-and-ncq/

With that loose end sorted, I'll be kicking off a brand new round of SSD tests on a 24 core server here soon. All those will appear on my blog. The 320 drive is returning as the bang for buck champ, along with a DC S3700 and a Seagate 1TB Hybrid drive with NAND durable write cache.

--
Greg Smith   2ndQuadrant US    greg@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx   Baltimore, MD