Re: Reliability with RAID 10 SSD and Streaming Replication

On 05/23/2013 03:47 PM, Merlin Moncure wrote:

[cut]

<quote>

[..] There are two components to the Swingbench test we're running here:
the database itself, and the redo log. The redo log stores all changes that
are made to the database, which allows the database to be reconstructed in
the event of a failure. In good DB design, these two would exist on separate
storage systems, but in order to increase IO we combined them both for this
test.
Accesses to the DB end up being 8KB and random in nature, a definite strong
suit
of the S3700 as we've already shown. The redo log however consists of a
bunch
of 1KB - 1.5KB, QD1, sequential accesses. The S3700, like many of the newer
controllers we've tested, isn't optimized for low queue depth, sub-4KB,
sequential
workloads like this. [..]

</quote>

Does this kind of scenario apply to postgresql wal files repo ?

huh -- I don't think so.  wal file segments are 8kb aligned, ditto
clog, etc.  In XLogWrite():

   /* OK to write the page(s) */
   from = XLogCtl->pages + startidx * (Size) XLOG_BLCKSZ;
   nbytes = npages * (Size) XLOG_BLCKSZ;  <--
   errno = 0;
   if (write(openLogFile, from, nbytes) != nbytes)
   {

AFICT, that's the only way you write out xlog.  One thing I would
definitely advise though is to disable partial page writes if it's
enabled.   s3700 is algined on 8kb blocks internally -- hm.

many thanks merlin for both the explanation and the good advice :)

andrea