Re: slow bitmap heap scans on pg 9.2

On 13-04-14 08:06 PM, Steve Singer wrote:
On 13-04-13 04:54 PM, Jeff Janes wrote:

If you are trying to make your own private copy of 9.2, then removing
the fudge factor altogether is probably the way to go.  But if you want
to help improve future versions, you probably need to test with the most
up-to-date dev version.

I will do that in a few days.  I don't have enough disk space on this
dev server to have a 9.2 datadir and a 9.3 one for this database.  Once
I have a solution that I can use with 9.2 firmed up I can upgrade the
datadir to 9.3 and test this.  I am hoping I can get a set of partial
indexes that will give good results with an unmodified 9.2, so far that
looks promising but I still have more cases to verify (these indexes
take a while to build).

I've run these queries against a recent master/9.3 and the planner is picking the nested-loop plan for using the full index. This is with random_page_cost=2.