Re: Avoiding Recheck Cond when using Select Distinct

On Sat, Feb 23, 2013 at 3:53 PM, Jeff Janes <jeff.janes@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> It would really help to have "explain (analyze, buffers)".  Especially if
> you turn on track_io_timing, (although that part probably can't be done on
> Heroku, as it requires superuser access.)

Right, that's not supported right now, although given that the
superuser is primarily for performance considerations (right?),
perhaps we should find some way of exposing this.

> It would help even more if you can get that information while the server is
> misbehaving, rather than when it is not.  Does Heroku support auto_explain?

We used to have some support for it, but given that all the tunables
there are superuser-only, we found it wasn't very useful in its
current form and took it out. Same as above: we probably should find a
way of exposing the tunables here to a less-trusted user. It'd be
great to have more granularity in some of these permissions.