Re: PostgreSQL over internet

On 27/01/13 02:45, ktm@xxxxxxxx wrote:
On Sun, Jan 27, 2013 at 03:15:45AM +0300, belal hamed wrote:

I connect to my server through ADSL connection 4Mbps

Here is your "problem". You need to understand the performance
characteristics of your communication channel. ADSL is a VERY
asymmetric communications channel. Down is usually much faster
than up.

I'm not convinced that ADSL is your problem.

1. Try just SSH directly to the server, and run psql, and run a query like this one:
   SELECT 'This is a test message' AS status;

This should run in under 1ms; it also means that we don't have to worry about the details of your database-schema for the purposes of this problem.

2. Try creating a simple SSH tunnel and using your application locally. For example, if your server runs Postgresql on port 5432, run this SSH command:
  ssh -L 5432:localhost:5432 your_server_hostname
and then connect to your LOCAL (localhost) port 5432; SSH will handle the port forwarding. [Explanation: "localhost" in the SSH command is in the context of your_server_hostname]
How does it work now?

3. Try configuration you are currently using, but with the above query.

It should be possible to distinguish between:
  - slowness caused by the database query itself
  - slowness caused by the network fundamentally.
  - slowness caused by the postgresql/libpq.

Hopefully, you'll be able to narrow it down a bit.

HTH,

Richard