Re: backend suddenly becomes slow, then remains slow

On 12/26/2012 11:03 PM, Jeff Janes wrote:
On Fri, Dec 14, 2012 at 10:40 AM, Andrew Dunstan <andrew.dunstan@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote: > One of my clients has an odd problem. Every so often a backend will suddenly > become very slow. The odd thing is that once this has happened it remains > slowed down, for all subsequent queries. Zone reclaim is off. There is no IO > or CPU spike, no checkpoint issues or stats timeouts, no other symptom that
> we can see.

By "no spike", do you mean that the system as a whole is not using an unusual amount of IO or CPU, or that this specific slow back-end is not using an unusual amount?

both, really.

Could you strace is and see what it is doing?

Not very easily, because it's a pool connection and we've lowered the pool session lifetime as part of the amelioration :-) So it's not happening very much any more.

> The problem was a lot worse that it is now, but two steps have
> alleviated it mostly, but not completely: much less aggressive autovacuuming > and reducing the maximum lifetime of backends in the connection pooler to 30
> minutes.

Do you have a huge number of tables? Maybe over the course of a long-lived connection, it touches enough tables to bloat the relcache / syscache. I don't know how the autovac would be involved in that, though.

Yes, we do indeed have a huge number of tables. This seems a plausible thesis.

cheers

andrew