Re: Optimize update query

On 11/30/2012 07:31 AM, Niels Kristian Schjødt wrote:

In theory what difference should it make to the performance, to have
a pool in front of the database, that all my workers and web servers
connect to instead of connecting directly? Where is the performance
gain coming from in that situation?

If you have several more connections than you have processors, the
database does a *lot* more context switching, and among other things,
that drastically reduces PG performance. On a testbed, I can get over
150k transactions per second on PG 9.1 with a 1-1 relationship between
CPU and client. Increase that to a few hundred, and my TPS drops down to
30k. Simply having the clients there kills performance.

--
Shaun Thomas
312-444-8534