Re: How to upgrade from 9.1 to 9.2 with replication?

On 10/25/2012 07:10 AM, Kevin Grittner wrote:

... as long as the rsync was bracketed by calls to pg_start_backup()
and pg_stop_backup().

Or they took it during a filesystem snapshot, or shut the database down.

I thought that the only thing start/stop backup did was mark the beginning and end transaction logs for the duration of the backup so they could be backed up separately for a minimal replay.

An rsync doesn't need that, because it's binary compatible. You get two exact copies of the database, provided data wasn't changing. That's easy enough to accomplish, really.

Or is there some embedded magic in streaming replication that requires start/stop backup? I've never had problems starting slaves built from an rsync before.

--
Shaun Thomas
312-444-8534