Re: Two identical systems, radically different performance

On 10/09/2012 01:40 AM, Craig James wrote:
Nobody has commented on the hyperthreading question yet ... does it really matter? The old (fast) server has hyperthreading disabled, and the new (slower) server has hyperthreads enabled.

If hyperthreading is definitely NOT an issue, it will save me a trip to the co-lo facility.

sorry to come late to the party, but being in a similar condition
I've googled a bit and I've found a way to disable hyperthreading without
the need to reboot the system and entering the bios:

echo 0 >/sys/devices/system/node/node0/cpuX/online

where X belongs to 1..(#cores * 2) if hyperthreading is enabled
(cpu0 can't be switched off).

didn't try myself on live system, but I definitely will
as soon as I have a new machine to test.

Andrea