Re: hardware advice

On 9/27/2012 3:16 PM, Claudio Freire wrote:
Careful with AMD, since many (I'm not sure about the latest ones)
cannot saturate the memory bus when running single-threaded. So, great
if you have a high concurrent workload, quite bad if you don't.

Actually we test memory bandwidth with John McCalpin's stream program.
Unfortunately it is hard to find stream test results for recent machines so it can be hard to compare two boxes unless you own examples, so I didn't mention it as a useful option. But if you can find results for the machines, or ask a friend to run it for you...definitely useful information.