Re: ZFS vs. UFS

Hi.

As far as I know UFS is faster than ZFS on FreeBSD 9.0.

Some users reported stability problem with ZFS on AMD64 and maybe UFS is better choice.

Best regards
Georgi

On 07/24/2012 03:51 PM, Laszlo Nagy wrote:

Hello,

Under FreeBSD 9, what filesystem should I use for PostgreSQL? (Dell
PowerEdge 2900, 24G mem, 10x2T SATA2 disk, Intel RAID controller.)

    * ZFS is journaled, and it is more independent of the hardware. So
      if the computer goes wrong, I can move the zfs array to a
      different server.
    * UFS is not journaled. Also I have to rely on the RAID card to
      build the RAID array. If there is a hw problem with it, then I
      won't be able to recover the data easily.

I wonder if UFS has better performance or not. Or can you suggest
another fs? Just of the PGDATA directory.

Thanks,

Laszlo