Re: Introducing the TPC-V benchmark, and its relationship to PostgreSQL

On 07/04/2012 07:08 AM, Reza Taheri wrote:

... so the subcommittee moved forward with developing its own reference kit. The reference kit has been developed to run on PostgreSQL, and we are focusing our development efforts and testing on PostgreSQL.
That's a very positive step. The TPC seems to me to have a pretty poor reputation among open source database users and vendors. I think that's largely because the schema and tools are typically very closed and restrictively licensed, though the prohibition against publishing benchmarks by big commercial vendors doesn't help.

This sounds like a promising change. The TPC benchmarks are really good for load-testing and regression testing, so having one that's directly PostgreSQL friendly will be a big plus, especially if it is appropriately licensed.

The opportunity to audit the schema, queries, and test setup before the tool is finalized would certainly be appealing. What can you publish in draft form now?

What license terms does the TPC plan to release the schema, queries, and data for TPC-V under?

I've cc'd Greg Smith and Dave Page, both of whom I suspect will be interested in this development but could easily miss your message. If you haven't read Greg' book "PostgreSQL High Performance" it's probably a good idea to do so.

--
Craig Ringer