Performance of pg_basebackup

Hey everyone,

I was wondering if anyone has found a way to get pg_basebackup to be... faster. Currently we do our backups something like this:

tar -c -I pigz -f /db/backup_yyyy-mm-dd.tar.gz -C /db pgdata

Which basically calls pigz to do parallel compression because with RAIDs and ioDrives all over the place, it's the compression that's the bottleneck. Otherwise, only one of our 24 CPUs is actually doing anything.

I can't seem to find anything like this for pg_basebackup. It just uses its internal compression method. I could see this being the case for pg_dump, but pg_basebackup just produces regular tar.gz files. Is there any way to either fake a parallel compression here, or should this be a feature request for pg_basebackup?

--
Shaun Thomas
312-444-8534