Re: wal_level=archive gives better performance than minimal - why?

On 01/12/2012 06:17 PM, Tomas Vondra wrote:
I've run a series fo pgbench benchmarks with the aim to see the effect
of moving the WAL logs to a separate drive, and one thing that really
surprised me is that the archive log level seems to give much better
performance than minimal log level.

How repeatable is this? If you always run minimal first and then archive, that might be the actual cause of the difference. In this situation I would normally run this 12 times, with this sort of pattern:

minimal
minimal
minimal
archive
archive
archive
minimal
minimal
minimal
archive
archive
archive

To make sure the difference wasn't some variation on "gets slower after each run". pgbench suffers a lot from problems in that class.

--
Greg Smith   2ndQuadrant US    greg@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx   Baltimore, MD