Re: Duplicate deletion optimizations

Hello,

Thanks for your numerous and complete answers!

For those who have asked for more information about the process and hardware:

The goal of the process is to compute data from a nosql cluster and write results in a PostgreSQL database. This process is triggered every 5 minutes for the latest 5 minutes data. 80% of data can be wrote in the database with a simple copy, which is the fastest solution we found for bulk insertion. But for some data, duplicates are possible (but very unusual), and the new data must replace the old one in database. I'm looking for the fastest solution to do this upsert.

About the hardware:

The PostgreSQL database run on a KVM virtual machine, configured with 8GB of ram and 4 cores of a L5640 CPU. The hypervisor have two 7,2k standard SAS disks working in linux software raid 1. Disks are shared by VMs, and obviously, this PostgreSQL VM doesn't share its hypervisor with another "write-intensive" VM.

Also, this database is dedicated to store the data outgoing the process, so I'm really free for its configuration and tuning. I also plan to add a replicated slave database for read operations, and maybe do a partitioning of data, if needed.

If I summarize your solutions:

- Add an "order by" statement to my initial query can help the planner to use the index. - Temporary tables, with a COPY of new data to the temporary table and a merge of data (you proposed different ways for the merge). - Use EXISTS statement in the delete (but not recommended by another reply)

I'll try your ideas this week, and I'll give you results.

Antoine.